When a truck driver or trucking company is negligent, their actions could harm people in devastating collisions. Truck accidents cause more harm because they’re considerably larger and heavier than the average car. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may be eligible for compensation. A Marion, Illinois truck accident lawyer from Prince Law Firm can help you with your claim.
With us at your side, you could recover damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage. We’ll give you financial peace of mind so you turn your attention to healing and getting back to your everyday life.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Marion, Illinois
Many truck accidents are often caused by negligence, meaning that they were preventable. When an accident occurs, it doesn’t automatically mean the truck driver was at fault. There could have been an issue with the truck’s cargo or the truck itself. Trucking companies are supposed to make sure their vehicles are safe to drive, but some may neglect to fix or check trucks and send them on the road.
- Driver Error. Truck drivers need training and practice to operate commercial vehicles. Without these elements, drivers may be more prone to making errors on the road. This could be not signaling far away enough from a turn, giving enough time to brake, or not being aware of the truck’s blind spots.
- Driver Fatigue. Truck drivers often have to be on the road for long hours every day. Exhausted drivers may fall asleep at the wheel or have delayed reactions to other cars. They could drift into other lanes or run off the road.
- Aggressive Driving. Speeding and tailgating puts everyone at risk, especially when the vehicle is a semi-truck. There’s a greater chance the driver will lose control of the vehicle and have less time to brake.
- Overloading/Weight Distribution. Trucks are supposed to carry a set amount of weight and it has to be distributed evenly so it doesn’t add stress to the truck.
- Mechanical Failure. Trucks that don’t get regular maintenance could experience issues with the brakes, steering, or engine and could cause collisions.
- Inclement Weather. Poor road conditions like snow or ice contribute to accidents because they lessen the grip of the tires on the road and the driver won’t be able to control the truck.
After a big rig accident, your truck accident lawyer will look into your case and find the cause of your accident. We will check if the driver was irresponsible or the truck company wasn’t following regulations.
The Severity of Illinois Truck Accidents
In Illinois in 2016, there were 821 tractor trailer work zone crashes. There were 15 fatalities and 111 injuries.
An accident involving an 18-wheeler often causes more damage than car accidents. Trucks also have two major dangerous events that can happen in an accident:
- Trucks have a higher chance of rolling over because the trailer has a high center of gravity. Trailers with unstable cargo can also roll over. A rollover can hurt the driver and any other motor vehicles in the truck’s path.
- A trailer can spin out and come forward to collide with the tractor.
Serious truck accidents like these can also result in death. If you’ve lost a loved one in a truck accident, Prince Law Firm can help you with your wrongful death claim.
Truck Accidents Cause Devastating Injuries
Injuries caused by a truck accident are more likely to be catastrophic—injuries with long-term consequences. Truck accident injuries can put people in the hospital and will probably have a long recovery time.
- Head and Brain Injuries. Head injuries can cause concussions and major impacts could cause brain swelling and bleeding.
- Neck and Spine Injuries. Motor vehicle accidents can cause whiplash. Injuries along the spine have the potential to cause permanent disabilities like paralysis.
- Broken Bones. The impact of a truck accident could shatter bones or cause sprains.
- Loss of Limb. People could possible lose limbs in a major accident involving a heavy truck.
After a truck accident, it’s vital to see a medical professional to assess your injuries. You may even think you don’t need to see a doctor, but symptoms don’t always show up right after the accident. The sooner you see your doctor, you can start treating your injuries, and you can focus on your claim.
Get Help from a Marion, IL Truck Accident Lawyer
You deserve to have a reliable truck accident lawyer who represents your best interests and won’t settle for less than what you’re owed. Prince Law Firm will fight for your rights and do everything to get you a favorable outcome. We’re prepared to take your case to court if it needs to.
Get in touch with us today for a free consultation. You’ll speak with a southern Illinois truck accident lawyer about the merits of your case and decide how you should move forward.