When you go to the supermarket or a store, you expect the property to be safe. Unfortunately, negligent property owners create slip and fall hazards for everyone. It can either be from willfully ignoring the problem or not doing proper maintenance, but both these neglectful actions can cause major injuries. If you’ve suffered in a falling accident, a Marion, Illinois slip and fall lawyer from Prince Law Firm can help you with your claim.
We will investigate your case to find what caused your accident. We’ll also show how the injuries have affected you. With our dependable lawyers at your side, you could receive compensation for your pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages.
What Causes Illinois Slip and Fall Accidents?
Many things can cause someone to have a falling accident. People need to have stable, flat, clear, and visible walkways to move safely. When something is in the way or is neglected, slip and fall hazards will put people in danger.
The following are common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Spilled Liquid. Spills from drinks or a leaking pipe could cause liquid to pool on the ground and make it slippery.
- Ice and Snow. Ground that isn’t shoveled or salted is a big slip and fall concern, but also people can track in the snow and make the floor slick when it melts.
- Debris or Objects on Floor. Clutter, cords, and wires shouldn’t be blocking a path because people may not see them and can easily fall.
- Inadequate Lighting. Places need to have lights so people can see where they’re going. When those lights go out, they should be replaced in a reasonable amount of time.
- Unstable Railings or Uneven Flooring. Railings that are rusted or broken won’t support someone. Flooring with cracks or holes could catch someone’s foot and make them fall.
These aren’t the only causes of slip and fall accidents. If you’re wondering if your injury constitutes a falling injury claim, a slip and fall accident lawyer will be able to help determine the validity of your claim.
Where Can Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere. The property could be public or private, and if the owner is negligent, could be hazardous.
- Businesses and Stores. Everything from hotels, restaurants, boutiques, and grocery stores can have slip and fall hazards.
- Government Buildings. Government buildings and their outdoor property can cause slip and fall accidents, but liability may be different than other businesses. Claims that a slip and fall accident happened on government property may have less time to be reported and filed. It’s best to meet with your lawyer as soon as possible so you don’t miss a deadline.
- Sidewalks, Parking Lots, Staircases. People can trip and fall in these areas when they aren’t maintained or kept safe.
Common Falling Injuries in Illinois
Falling injuries can cause serious injuries. Some can be catastrophic and will affect you for the rest of your life.
Common injuries include:
- Brain Injuries. When a person falls, there’s a chance they could hit their head and result in a traumatic brain injury. This could cause fractures, bleeding, or an object could penetrate the skull. Head injuries have the potential to have long-term consequences that could affect the person’s brain and body.
- Dental Injuries. A facial injury could affect someone’s teeth or jaw. These injuries can be painful and may require surgeries to make a full recovery.
- Neck and Spinal Cord Injuries. Landing on the neck or spine can injure crucial parts of the body that control mobility. Injuring the spine could cause paralysis.
- Broken Bones. Slip and fall accidents can break arms, legs, and will probably need to be set in a cast to heal.
- Sprains. It’s common for people to try and break their fall or stop it from happening, which can lead to injuries like sprained wrists.
Slip and fall accidents can also cause death. It could be from the fall itself or the severity of the injuries. Losing a loved one because of someone’s negligence is heartbreaking, but you can seek justice for them. Prince Law Firm can help you file a wrongful death claim.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
After a slip and fall accident, you’ll want to protect your rights so you can file a claim. It’s important to know the following in the event of a slip and fall accident:
- Gather Evidence. Photographs of the accident and eyewitnesses will help you show how the accident happened. You should also have medical records of visiting hospitals or doctor’s appointments, tests ordered, prescriptions, and treatment plans.
- Report the Incident. Find a manager or a supervisor to report the incident. When writing down what happened, be as detailed and accurate as possible.
- See a Doctor. Visiting a doctor soon after the accident will get you an evaluation of your injuries and you can start treatment. Waiting too long to see a doctor could allow your injuries to worsen, which could cause more pain and a longer recovery time. You also may not get compensation to fully cover your medical expenses because you let so much time pass between the accident and seeing a medical professional.
- Call Your Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer. Falling accident claims and premises liability claims of all types need to be done within a time limit and can be hard to prove on your own.
Get Help from a Marion, IL Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents happen because someone didn’t take the time or care to keep their property safe. Most of the injuries are preventable and should have never happened in the first place. At Prince Law Firm, we believe you deserve to have legal representation who will stand up for your rights and do everything to get you a favorable outcome.
Get in touch with us today to schedule a free consultation where you can speak with one of our lawyers about your case.