At Prince Law Firm we know that filing a lawsuit can be confusing. We have provided the answers to some common questions. We hope you find them helpful.

Auto accident FAQs

What should I do after a car accident?

  • Do not say you are at fault for the accident to anyone at the accident scene.
  • Do not provide any recorded statement to an insurance company.
  • Do not plead guilty in court.

Contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Prince Law Firm for help as soon as possible.

I was injured in a car accident—what do I do now? Do I need an attorney?
Symptoms of serious injuries are not always evident at the scene of the accident. You should seek medical help immediately after your accident, even if you do not feel seriously injured. Tell the doctor you were in a crash so they can examine you accordingly. If you delay seeking medical attention, the other driver’s insurance company or lawyers may question your claim. The insurance company has legal representation—so should you.

The other driver involved in the car accident is not insured. What happens now?
Although auto insurance is required by law, some drivers do not have it. Others carry minimal coverage. If you were in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver, check if you purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you did, you can file a claim with your insurance company for any damages that exceed the other driver’s coverage up to the limits of your coverage.

Is there a deadline for filing an auto accident lawsuit in Illinois?
Yes, in Illinois you have two years from the date of the accident to file suit.

Back to top

Wrongful death FAQs

I know wrongful death occurs when someone dies because of another person’s negligence, but what exactly is negligence?
Negligence is an error or misconduct that results in the injury or loss of life of another person.

My husband died due to someone else’s negligence. Am I entitled to compensation for my loss? Yes, you may be. In Illinois, spouses and next of kin may be entitled to damages for the grief, sorrow, and mental anguish suffered due to the loss of a family member. You may also sue based on the pain and suffering your husband may have experienced prior to his death.

Back to top

Workplace injuries/workers compensation FAQs

I was injured at work last week. How long do I have to file a workers compensation claim?
You have 45 days from the date of the accident to file your claim. If you are filing for an occupational disease or repetitive injury, you must notify your employer as soon as possible after you discover the condition. Delaying notifying your employer could cause delays in your benefit payments.

I am worried that my employer might be angry with me for filing a workers compensation claim. Can I be fired for filing for workers compensation?
No, absolutely not. Discrimination by an employer against an employee who files for workers compensation is illegal. This includes discharging, harassing, firing, or refusing to rehire an employee because of his or her workers compensation. If you have been discriminated against because you filed a workers compensation claim, you may be able to file a separate lawsuit for damages.

Am I allowed to receive treatment from my own doctor or the hospital of my choice or do I have to use a physician/hospital selected by my employer?
You may visit the doctor or hospital of your choice at your employer’s expense. However, you must inform your employer in writing of the name and address of the doctor or hospital.

Back to top

Contact us

Prince Law Firm proudly represents the cities of Carbondale, IL and Marion, IL and the surrounding Southern Illinois communities in auto accident, wrongful death, workplace injuries, and workers compensation cases. Contact us today for experienced legal assistance.

Contact Us Free Consultation
Phone Number